Community Circle: This Week at BCAM
UP FRONT THIS WEEK
- Academic Calendar: Happy 2018 everyone! This is the 9th Week of 2nd Quarter. This is a full-week with regular schedule today -Friday. We have 2 weeks of class left until the end of the quarter and January Regent Exams. There is no school next Monday, January 15th, in honor of Martin Luther King day.
- January Attendance Contest: Please stay tuned for the details on January’s contest and prizes! Let’s be here on time EVERY DAY!!!
- Regents Schedules: Students will receive revised regent schedules this week during advisory. See Ms. Exantus in Rm. 202 if exams are missing or if you need clarification.
- BCAM Snowboarding Program: Attention all BCAM students interested in learning how to snowboard, or those that know how, and want to continue to get your shred on—you must immediately see Mr. Lawrence in Room 307 for an application or to turn yours in. The program starts a week this Saturday! It’s free and you travel to snowy mountains to take lesson and rip it down the mountain. BCAM participants are going to connect their snowboarding to Science and Math concepts and also make music videos and documentaries about their snowboarding!!!
- Fresh Friday: Special Shout out to ALL BCAM students and staff (We love you Ms. Lee) who participated in our 30 Sec Challenge During Fresh Friday of last week.
- Open Mic: Sign up for the February 9th BCAM Open Mic will begin Wednesday January 10th. SIGN UP LOCATIONS WILL INCLUDE 1ST FLOOR ACROSS THE GYM AND 3RD FLOOR HALLWAYS. Students will passions in ALL areas including visual art, design, literary art, and music are encouraged to sign up.
- Regent Preparation Sessions: All students who will be taking January Regent exams are invited to these sessions.
- Global: This Thursday/Friday 3-4:30pm w/Ms. Maros in Rm. 303.
- US: This Wednesday/Thursday 3-4:30pm w/Mr. Davis in Rm. 207.
- Algebra: This Wednesday/Thursday 3-4:30pm w/Ms. Gent and Ms. Bujan in Rm. 322
- Geometry: This Thursday 3-4:30pm w/Mr. Munch in Rm. 203.
- Algebra 2: This Saturday 12-2pm w/Mrs. Greene in Rm. 204.
- Living Environment: This Wednesday/Friday 3pm-4:30pm w/Ms. Baker in Rm.333
- 9th Grade Algebra/Geometry Peer Tutoring: 9th Graders tutoring this Thursday/Friday in w/ Ms. Gent Rm. 322.
- Academic Centers: Resume this Thursdays from 3:00pm-4:00pm. See attached and sign outside Ms. Bello’s Door (324).
- College Classes: Please see Ms. Lyons 302 for info on college classes at Medgar Evers, John Jay or here at BCAM.
- BCAM Artistic & Intelligent Young Men and Young Ladies (AIYM & AIYL): Both groups continue sessions this week Wed & Thursday 3:00pm-4:30pm.
- BCAM Dance Academy: Resumes this week Wednesday & Thursday 3:00pm-4:15pm.
- BCAM-Groundswell Mural Project: Mural members have studio session this Wednesday 4:00pm-7:00pm.
- BCAM Yearbook: Meeting Tuesday at 4:00pm in Rm. 303
- BCAM Art Academy: Meeting Thursday 3:00pm-4:30pm.
- BCAM Lady Lions Girls Basketball: The Lady Lions won both their games last week and remain the #2 rated team in the city! This week they play away home today vs. Bk Collegiate and away Thursday vs. Canarsie HS. Let’s pack the gym today after school!
- BCAM Lions Boys Basketball: The Lions won their one game last week and had another postponed. This week they play today at Maxwell, Tuesday home vs. Home Achievement 1st, Thursday at Spring Creek and Saturday at Christ The King. Let’s pack the gym this Tuesday.
- BCAM Lady Lion JV Basketball: The Lady Lion JV plays Wednesday away.
- BCAM Table Tennis: The BCAM Table Tennis Team won 1 match last week. They play four times this week. Monday, Thursday and Friday at home and Tuesday away.
- BCAM Lions Boys Soccer: Lions soccer practice will take place this Saturday 2pm-4pm in the Lion’s Den.
- BCAM Lioness Cheerleading: You cheer 2 times this week: today and Tuesday. Let’s go Lioness!!!
- Tryouts for the 2017-2018 Lioness Cheerleading Squad will be Tuesday, January 29th and Wednesday, January 31st, 2018. Tryouts will take place in the Dance Studio and Black Box from 3:00pm-5:00pm. All students interested in trying out for the cheer and stunt team must complete a PSAL medical form and a tryout application packet and return them to Ms. Weekes by January 19th. Tryout application packets are available beginning Wednesday January 10, 2018 in room 332. Please wear a white t-shirt and shorts, sneakers, and hair pulled back. No tank tops or jewelry is permitted. You will learn jumps, stunting skills, a chant, and possibly a short dance combination. You will be requested to demonstrate your flexibility and any tumbling skills you have. You will be evaluated throughout the audition process, and cuts may be made on each day of tryouts.
- Community Expectations: You must be on time to your first class at 8:20am. Students are not permitted to enter first period classes after 8:35am. No hats, scarves, etc. are to be worn during the school day. No electronics are allowed in classes during the academic day (this includes headphones!). Students attending after-school activities and athletic team members must leave the building at dismissal and return to the building at 3:00pm through the front entrance.
- Computer Lab Rules: BCAM students and especially 12th Graders—there is no food or drink allowed in our Computer Labs! Thank you for following these rules.
- Detention: Required detention continues this Wednesday afternoon after school.
- Late to School/class Detention: Students late multiple times to school and class will serve detention this Thursday afternoon.
12TH GRADE SENIORS
- Senior Portraits: We will be inviting the photographers to return February 12th. All seniors that have paid dues by the time of the visit will be able to take pictures. This will be the last opportunity. ****Seniors will meet with Ms. Bello to select the picture that they would like in the yearbook – do not email the studio on your own.
- Senior 2nd quarter celebration trip: Seniors that pass all their classes 2nd quarter will be invited on an ice-skating trip!
- Senior Dues: Senior dues are now $206 due to Ms. Bello as soon as possible (this includes the new 10% late fee) This is now the price without the CUNY application fee. All students that paid full price will receive a $65 refund or can put that $$$ towards prom.
- Yearbook: We need your pictures!!! Please send photos for the yearbook to firstname.lastname@example.org. If we don’t get photos, the yearbook is going to be 6 pages long.
- BCAM Student Council: Student Council will meet this Thursday at 4:00pm with Ms. Clark and Ms. Gent in room 328
- BCAM Dream Team: Meeting Tuesday at 3:00pm in room 334
- BCAM Website, Instagram, Twitter, Snapchat: Check out our pictures, features and info on our Instagram/Twitter @bcamhs. Go follow and get those clicks up!
- Monday: O’Brien principal meeting. Grade Team Meetings 2:55pm-4:00pm.
- Tuesday: O’Brien/Clark/Bullock/Murray PD. Achievement Mentoring PD 12pm-4pm. Parent Outreach 2:55pm-3:15pm. Collab Plan 3:15pm-4:00pm.
- Wednesday: Detention. O’Brien/Clark/Bullock/Murray PD. Lawrence/Howell PD.
- Thursday: Academic Centers. Ross PD.
- All Staff reminders:
- ****Email Ms. Exantus ASAP if you cannot stay for the late shift during regents week and/or if you will be out during regents week.
- Lesson plans and unit plans every day to support well-planned, organized classes.
- Classroom and hallway bulletin boards displaying curriculum, student work, rubrics.
- 8:10am recommended whole staff morning meeting.
- Strong engagement and common core/regent preparation in every class!