August 21, 2018
Dear BCAM Students and Families,
With the 2018-19 school year arriving, we want to take a moment to welcome our newly entering Class of 2022! We also want to share with everyone important BCAM information and remind you of a few important dates.
BCAM Zero Tolerance Lateness/Class Cutting Policy: Enough is Enough!
We are a college preparatory high school that has vital academic classes 1st period – 8th period every day. For the last few years, far too many students have continually arrived late for classes, missed classes for which they are late, or cut classes. These students fail or barely passing these classes, which affects academic achievement, progress and preparation. We will no longer accept this lack of commitment, and will immediately penalize it. Here is the non-negotiable BCAM Lateness /Cutting Policy. We need family support and partnership on this! Make sure your student arrives on time to school and attends all their classes!
- There is no longer any acceptable late arrival to school. 1st period begins at 8:20am! Late arrival beyond 8:20am, as well as cutting a class, results in immediate non-negotiable disciplinary consequences below.
- Late arrival or cutting classes results in a required 45 minute restorative detention 3:00pm-3:45pm THIS SAME DAY, 5 DAYS A WEEK. Parents will receive a Kinvolved text notifying them of this required detention by 12:30pm. Students will be individually notified in school.
- Failure to attend this same day detention, and/or if lateness/cutting continues, students will still be required to make up these detentions, and also be required to attend mandatory 3-hour Saturday restorative detention 9:00am-12:00pm. Parents will also be required to attend a documented attendance-arrival intervention meeting.
- Continued lateness/cutting then results in inside-suspension and removal from any extra-curricular participation of which a student is a part, for a minimum of half an academic quarter, or 5 weeks. There will be no exceptions to this removal.
- NOTE: Only students with written, documented and verified parental permission will be considered for excused lateness. However, we will not accept regular parental permission given for lateness.
- Seniors (Class of 2019): these policies apply for your first class of each day.
Summer School Grades and Summer Regent Exams: Available September 5th
Wednesday, September 5th, 8:20am: 1st Day of School- full day; students on time!
Monday, September 10th, Tuesday, September 11th, Wednesday, September 19th : NYC DOE Holidays, no school.
Wednesday, September 26th, 6:00pm-8:00pm: BCAM Back-to-School Parent Conferences
All families are required to attend to receive class curricular overviews, guidelines and opportunities.
Required Supplies for All BCAM Students:
Strong and large backpack or book-bag, spiral notebooks for all academic classes,large 3-ring binder, loose-leaf notebook paper, graphing calculator, supply of blue or black ballpoint pens, supply of pencils
BCAM website: www.bcamhs.org and Social Media: @bcamhs
Dr. James O’Brien, BCAM Principal, and the entire BCAM community
& the entire BCAM Community